December '06 Bulletin
(Meeting held: 12/20)
Sarah Anker from the Chec Organization (Community Health and Environment Coalition). Please visit www.checli.homestead.com
We reviewed PAK goals:
1) The FDA should require companies to label for cross contamination. There also should be penalties for companies that fail to list the top 8 food allergens.
2) Research: We would like the CDC (Center for Disease Control) to track anaphylactic deaths. There
also should be further research on Genetically Modified Organisms and Cloned meats/milk. Further investigation as to why the peanut allergy has doubled since '97 and explore new allergic diseases such as Eosinophilic Esophagitis.
3) Incorporate food allergic children's rights into the Special Education Parents/Teacher Association (Septa) program and the American Disabilities Act (ADA).
4) Implement Wellness Program at all schools to restrict food during class activities.
5) Create a Federal law for the Transportation system (school buses) to protect food allergic children nationally.
6) Request all Suffolk County schools/daycares to participate in the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network's (FAAN) free program: The School Food Allergy Program Special Edition.
Disclaimer: The information contained herein is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical/legal advice. Please seek the advice of your physician regarding any treatment for allergies and asthma.